You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression

Hello Blogosphere! 

Upon a certain influx in anonymous online pre-med accounts that track their pathway to doctorhood, (yes, sometimes I create new words - I dare you to tell me they're not useful) I have been inspired to make an account of my own struggle to become a health professional. Lucky for you, I've decided to publish it so that everyone can laugh at my pain - I mean share in  my successes and my failures.

No one said becoming a dentist, (my profession of choice) was going to be easy. But sometimes one wonders if the struggle will be entirely worth it. All the late nights studying Organic Chemistry, Microbiology, and Genetics, having to say no to many a social engagement, wishing you had time to catch up on your Bravo shows, (Patti Stanger - I have not forgotten you,  I promise!) The list of responsibilities goes on and on, but I'll keep it annotated for the sake of timing.

Please don't be offended, Patti. I'll catch you on a re-run.

But then, a magical thing happens.You witness a little moment along the way that ensures you - that yes! Of course, it's all worth it! Whether this be an incidence you experience while job shadowing - such as a grateful patient thanking their doctor for a job well done, or something academic-wise - such as acing a Microbiology exam you slaved over studying. Our journeys as pre-med students are filled with little accomplishments that give us hope and get us through our day. 

Now, I must fill you in with a little background of myself in order for you to understand me as a blogger. I'm currently a Sophomore, (kind of Junior - AP credits and what not) at Grand Valley State University. I was a Biology major but upon learning that I would need to take around 4 classes of plant and invertebrate biology, I changed majors faster than you can say, "Oh, come on! Botany is pretty cool!" Now I'm a Biomedical Science major, which I'm finding to be much more appealing. Who knew that pre-dental students would rather study humans than bugs or plants? A novel idea!

Well, it's a lot prettier than a gastrointestinal tract, but I would still prefer to study the latter...

I'm also a sorority girl. Does it make my journey towards becoming a dentist more challenging? Yes. Is it worth it? Of course.  I would not trade my sisters or everything I have learned and experienced from becoming Greek for the world. I wish everyone could become a part of a type of family I have joined. I am, in fact, anchored for life and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My Big Sister, Paige and I at paddle exchange. Yeah, we're pretty much adorable.

Other notable aspects of my life is that I'm Vice-President of the GVSU Pre-Dental club and I am a chemistry tutor at my university's tutoring center - because what says "fun" more than tutoring freshman gen-chem? I kid, I actually thoroughly enjoy my job - although sometimes I feel like remembering how to do the problems themselves is the hardest part... As far as the pre-dental club goes, I LOVE coming up with fun, exciting ideas for meetings to get members excited about dentistry. My favorite accomplishment thus far is the Pre-Dental jeopardy I crafted.

A template for our future club shirts. Don't worry, jealousy is a perfectly normal emotion to experience.

I guess this blog is intended to keep me on track as well as to entertain other college students sharing my plight. I've always loved writing and I try to find any excuse to type away on my laptop. (But not in that Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City way because that's way over-done.)

We get it. You're a girl blogger so you're automatically Carrie Bradshaw. Bravo.

So, that's it for now. My genetics notes are calling me. Would I rather be making a 3 generational Sims family while watching, "The Rachel Zoe Project?" Of course. But, unfortunately something has to give. (Sorry Rachel, please forgive me.)

 Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University