Midterms

Last week was GVSU's non-official midterms week. As we all know, midterms week brings about a firestorm of stress and all around bad mojo, which can actually be worse than finals week itself since you're not given an entire week dedicated to exams. A multitude of embarrassing events happened to me during this time, and I figure I'm not helping anyone by keeping them to myself.

If you know anything about me, (which you might not) I tend to do ridiculous, (usually funny) unintentional things when I'm put under stress. Call it a defense mechanism, call it a byproduct of my thespian background, (Fiddler on the Roof has yet to see a better "Tzeitel" by the way) call it what you will. All I know is that I almost always have an interesting anecdote to share after a stressful time period, (midterms week being a perfect example.)

 Me as "Tzeitel," from Fiddler on the Roof. Also known as the only time PJ will ever be a brunette. 

Our first display of overall embarrassment stems from the root of all evil: organic chemistry lab. Don't get me wrong, the GVSU Chemistry department makes it as bearable as it could possibly be, but I still have yet to find the benefits behind synthesizing products that never seem to exceed 18% yield. (Looking at you Luminol!)

The Luminol sure was pretty though...

Anyways, I walked into the organic chemistry lab and the first thing the instructor informs us of is that the chemical we're working with this week,
Butyraldehyde, smells similar to the feeling one gets before vomiting and should be handled with extreme caution. It sounded reasonable enough, so I made a minor mental note and carried on with the experiment. 

Here it is - Butyraldehyde. One little molecular structure that completely ruined my day.

About an hour into the three hour lab, I had to evaporate a test tube of a solution containing the Butyraldehyde. I took my air hose, and like an irresponsible gen-chem freshman, I cranked it up to full force. (Hey, the higher the pressure the faster it would evaporate, right? Yeah. Right.) Without thinking, I stuck the overpowered air hose into the test tube and proceeded to splash the entire solution all over my freshly cleaned Victoria Secret yoga pants. (Any college girl knows how big of a deal this is.) 

It didn't just stain my clothing, oh no. I smelled like baby puke throughout the rest of my lab and ultimately until I could take a shower. Over all, it was a disaster. A smelly, disgusting, embarrassing disaster. 

But, wait! There's more! What else could possibly top PJ getting a caustic, putrid chemical all over herself? Don't worry, I saved the best for last.

Our focus shifts to Microbiology lab. I feel like 80% of my college career has been spent in lab, so it would make sense that I take most of my stories from this setting. This semester, I have a British lab professor. Normally, I don't give his accent a second thought. But, when put under a stressful situation - i.e. a Microbiology lab midterm - all of a sudden it becomes an issue. 

Mid-exam, I have a question on one of the problems. I go up to my professor and without even thinking, I proceed to ask my question...wait for it...

In a British accent.

And I don't even realize that I've done it until after I finished my question. Sometimes I have to wonder what is wrong with me. Other times, I'm thankful that my biggest flaw is that I periodically make a joke of myself. 

Thankfully, the professor didn't even acknowledge what I had done and answered my question without more than a odd glance, leaving my ego somewhat still in-tact.

That about wraps up my midterms week - well besides the two other exams I had to take but those stories are less noteworthy. Cheers to all you college students that have finished their mid-terms and good luck to all those that still have exams to take.

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University