Week of 3/10/13- 3/16/13 In Review


I apologize for how overdue this post is, however, I’m sure you understand. Anyway, I’ve decided to do a recap of my week in lieu of daily updates.

Monday – An unremarkable day. The Monday following spring break is such a downer. It’s rough to think about how a week ago you were building an entire empire in the Sims Medieval and now you’re listening to your professor talk about organic oxidation and reduction mechanisms.  (I have a Sims problem – it’s okay, I’ve already acknowledged this.)

Who wouldn't be addicted to this?

Tuesday – I went to the 10th anniversary black-tie gala celebrating GVSU’s literary magazine “Fishladder.”It was a fun night full of tasty hors d'oeuvres and fancy lemonade. And anyway, who doesn’t love an excuse to wear a fancy dress? We listened to a few poems and socialized but I had to leave early to go to my Pre-Dental meeting.
        At my Pre-Dental meeting we discussed the overall process of getting into dental school - taking the DAT, filling out the AADAS, getting letters of rec, all the basics – it was a good presentation!

Wednesday – Had a genetics quiz. We had 15 minutes to do 2 4X4 and 2 2X2 punnett squares which involved listing all possible phenotypes. These tasks along with having to answer 5 normal quiz questions resulted in a very frantic PJ furiously scribbling down answers. Got our scores back Thursday night and come to find out, the class average was a 50%! Go figure…?
I also attended GVSU LGBT’s center’s Greek Allies and Advocates training. The training involved learning correct terminology when dealing with LGBT issues and how to fight bias. I learned a lot AND there were free cookies! (Always a plus.)

Curse you, Mendel.
 
Thursday – Pre-Professional school fair! I got to meet an Admission Representative from U of M’s Dental School and learned lots of valuable information. But I also learned a discouraging factoid. Apparently, U of M likes to see at least one semester of physics taken before applying for dental school. There went my plan of not facing the physics beast until senior year…

Friday – I travelled to U of M to visit my boyfriend. He took me out to a fancy dinner at Carson’s American Bistro. After the hostess sat us down she gave us our menus which just so happened to be tablets! Crazy! I didn’t even know how to work mine, since I have always been about a year behind in the technology development… (I had a flip-phone until senior year of high school, AND my iPod I’m currently listening to is from 9th grade – just to give you a few examples.)
        After dinner, Jeff and I participated in a Nerf Gun war – which I have to say, although terrifying, was actually a very fun time. The amount of advanced Nerf gear I saw was pretty impressive. (I made sure the guy with the Nerf blow darts was on my team.)

Yes, you should be intimidated.
Just kidding - now you should be.

Saturday – The better part of my Saturday was spent studying chemistry and finishing up a lab report. My boyfriend also started my Pre-Dental Club website. (We even have a logo! How fun?!) 

Our new logo! Thanks, Jeff!

        Being St. Patrick’s Day weekend, my boyfriend and I decided to go out. Now if you know anything about me, you know that I am NOT the type of girl that goes out often. In fact, the number of times I’ve went out partying since my freshman year of college – including last Saturday – is two.  I usually prefer a quiet night in with my Wii, (I know – crazy, right?) It was fun, however, and I got to meet all of Jeff’s U of M friends. Ann Arbor is a completely different world compared to good ‘ol GVSU!

The only photo from that night. Note the mysterious floating fingers...

        So that’s about it! It was an uneventful week, but I always like to keep track of things!
Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University