Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Hey guys!

I hope your Tuesday is going great. Mine was a long day, surprise surprise. I went to the school early this morning to get some x-rays done with a friend, but I couldn't because all of the x-ray machines were taken. So I ended up pouring up some casts and getting ready for our practical next Monday, then I went to class and finally I assisted in the clinics this afternoon.

I was having a great conversation with the student I was assisting about how he got into dentistry. He said that at first he wanted to be an engineer, and then he became more interested in the health field, and finally he decided on dentistry. We talked about how much engineering there is in dentistry. Before coming to dental school, I never considered myself an engineer, but now that I've seen how much technical, mechanical detail there is to dentistry I can say that I have some knowledge in the subject.

Knowing how to taper a wall by so many degrees, making sure cavity prep walls are parallel, sizing things down to the millimeter, all of these things can be found in mechanical engineering. And then there's the artistry aspect. I considered myself bad at art for the first 21 years of my life - and then I enrolled in dental school and discovered that I had no choice but to be good at it. It's true what they say - practice does make perfect.


My art skills have definitely improved

I walked into pre-clinic today and saw the D1s doing their first preps on blocks of plastic. I did not envy them at all. I remember those days... of not knowing how I would ever be able to become a dentist if I couldn't even figure out how to hold a drill. But I just think about how much I've learned in the last year, and if I learn even 1/2 of the amount in the next year, I can't imagine how much I will know about dentistry.

Also, the dental student I was assisting asked me if I wanted to polish and floss his patients teeth. And I said yes. :)

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

  1. This blog is on point! It takes a lot of artistry and precision to be a dentist. Dentists don't get enough credit for the work they do. Not only do dentists have the patient's health as a top concern, but also their cosmetic needs. Kudos to all the dentists out there—or should I say kudos to all the dentists/engineers/artists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those images are funny! Like your story, I'm also someone who was going to major in another field and then slowly came over to dentistry. It's very strange, because I never thought about being a dentist at all before, but here I am and I'm completely fascinated by it all. I'm more in the early phases of my education, but I can't wait to get some hands-on stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to partake in a radical new challenges worried among the finest data destinations on the web. I'll propose this unique site!
    Albright everett dental care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here . Dental technician

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need cosmetic dentistry, dental implants or orthodontics. Come to Dr. Amit Caplash for Family dentistry brampton and hassle-free service.

    ReplyDelete



  7. Thanks for sharing information. I enjoyed reading the blog. Keep on sharing!

    CPR Classes in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for sharing such a great and valuable post! keep sharing
    CPR Classes in Murrieta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! really helpful thankyou for publishing it.
    ACLS in Murrieta

    ReplyDelete
  10. "PALS in San Clemente offers specialized training for pediatric emergencies, ensuring you are prepared to handle critical situations involving children."

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article stands out as truly unique and incredibly helpful.
    PALS in Poway

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University