Summer Medical and Dental Education Program


SMDEP Program at Case Western
After slaving away over an enormous online application- including two essays, acquiring two letters of recommendation, and mailing in my official college transcripts, I received the super exciting news that I had been accepted to the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program. This 6 week program happens from early June to late July and consists of an intensive look into the world of medical, (and in my case) dental school.
After you finish your application, you choose 3 of the 12 program sites around the country to send it to. I decided to pick Case Western in Cleveland, Ohio, University of Louisville in Louisville, KY and University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. 
When I was filling out the application, I considered my odds of being chosen as slim to none. I figured I would apply anyway because I would continually regret not doing it - and seeing how the program is only open to college freshmen and sophomores, I had to apply.
So, imagine my surprise last Monday when the decisions were released and next to Case Western and University of Louisville was one simple, yet amazing word: accepted.
Not only had I been accepted to SMDEP, but by two colleges! How crazy! Next came the hard part - deciding between Case Western and Louisville. Both colleges seemed to have outstanding credentials and programs, but I could only choose one. My ultimate decision to confirm at Case Western was influenced by the fact that our Volunteer Coordinator of the GVSU Pre-Dental Club had done the SMDEP program at Case Western last summer and had absolutely loved it. It seemed like I couldn't go wrong at Case.
I'm still in shock over my acceptance and it still hasn't hit me yet that I actually get to participate this summer. For all you pre-meds and everything else of the like interested in getting hands-on clinical experience, job shadowing, and DAT/MCAT prep, I highly suggest applying to SMDEP next cycle - which opens in November some time. 
www.SMDEP.org

Now I have to get back to studying for my two exams on Friday; microbiology and health psychology. (Did I mention I had a microbiology lab exam last Thursday, an organic chemistry II exam last Friday and a genetics exam this morning? #DrowninginBooks)

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University