My First Patient

I broke my promise to you guys. 

I said I wouldn't leave you again and then I did. It's a combination of being busy, lazy in my sparse free time, not feeling like anyone's reading this (although you are), and feeling like I don't have important stuff to say. 

But I'm really going to try guys, like really really try. And honestly, I can say that when you all leave me comments it really motivates me to get back to writing. And writing is something that I truly enjoy doing, so here I am, trying to keep writing once more.

So, it finally happened. 

I HAD MY FIRST PATIENT.
It was basically a nightmare scenario.I didn't know about my patient until 5 mins before it was time for the appointment because of a scheduling error. It was a filling on a front tooth - something that everyone would see every time my patient talked. And my patient was unhappy with having to wait so long (for issues that I'm not going to get into because they're unimportant.)
But then, it turned into one of the best days of my life.
The filling went great - I felt confident because I HAD to be confident for my patient. I had an awesome D4 helping me the whole way, I ended up gaining my patient's trust and they left the appointment happy and satisfied with their filling. This was my facebook post from that day and I feel like it sums up my feelings about the whole ordeal pretty well:


"People ask me all the time, "Why do you want to become a dentist?" Today. Today is why I want to become a dentist. Today I did my first filling on a patient. What arrived was a man that did not want to be there. What left was a happy, lively, joking man who was a pleasure to work with. I want to be a dentist because I make people HAPPY. And when I make people happy, I feel like I'm doing God's work."


Did I ever imagine that I would be doing my first filling less than a year after starting dental school? No way. But it was probably my favorite experience so far. 


Believe in yourself people, if I can do it, so can you.

Until next time,
PJ
Right after my first filling! I was shaking with fear/happiness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University