Change

The start of a new semester is always nerve-wrecking for me. I always feel so out of place and unsure. However, the sub-zero temperatures and routine snow storms don't help much to bolster my mood, either. Figuring out what my study schedule is going to be like is especially challenging this semester. (I'll just study in all my free time, right? Oh wait.)  I have labs (specifically Anatomy Lab - cutely coined "Cadaver Lab," and a Physiology Lab I'm TA-ing for) at night three days a week, so I'm trying to learn how to divide my studying time adequately. Usually when I get out of lab, I'm exhausted. I tried coffee, but I think I drank too much on an empty stomach the other night and got a case of the shakes. In any case, I know I'll be able to settle in soon, but right now there's a certain degree of uncertainty and nervousness associated with everything that I do. However, I'm almost certain this is how the majority of students are feeling right now.

Me At School
I learned in Psychology once that change is a major source of stress in peoples' lives. This makes sense to me. As human beings our first reaction to change is, "NO. BAD. NO. NO," until we learn to eventually cope with these changes and make the proper adjustments to our lives. (And yes, that is the scientific reaction. That's all of my Psychology classes paying off, right there.) But why do we have such an adverse initial reaction to change? What causes us to fear it?

As creatures of habit, routine is something that can keep us grounded. Once we find our niche, we can easily glide through the motions of our lives without having to think much. However, one of my favorite quotes is, "The only thing constant in life is change." Without change, we wouldn't be able to experience growth, and we would eventually grow bored with having to live a monotonous existence. I know change can be scary at first, and even I don't react well to it initially, but in the end all of my advancements and growth have been products of an initial change.

Just yesterday, I met up with a new professor to ask about conducting research with her. Yes, I was extremely nervous (as I always am with meeting new people in academia.) But because of my willingness to reach out and try something new, I am now doing research in an area I'm interested in and am now going to be able to grow. If I had never taken an initial risk, if I had never bucked-up and stuck my neck out, then I would have nothing to show for it.

My Freshman year of college I started living the mantra "You don't know unless you try." My first experience with living out this personal challenge was running for Vice President of Pre-Dental Club. Of course I lost the election (I was a Freshman for crying out loud), but I didn't let that stop me. I ran for Vice President again the next year, won, and now a year after that I am proud to call myself the President. 

Now, this isn't supposed to be some egotistical post bragging about all of my accomplishments; I'm just trying to illustrate a point. Change should be embraced, and should even be sought out. Yes, at first you are going to be uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean that you should avoid it. Sometimes we have to put ourselves in situations that are unpleasant for a short period of time in order to achieve our goals and emerge better than how we started. But there's also the issue of your ego. When taking risks, your ego runs the risk of getting deflated. This has happened to me many times, and honestly it has always resulted in a positive change in my life. Initially, it's embarrassing to get shot down, but eventually you'll realize that everything happens for a reason.

Speaking of change, the countdown app on my phone is telling me there's 136 days until Dental School Apps open. (*Gulp*) Time to buckle down and finish my last semester before applying strongly to be as competitive as possible. Good luck to all my fellow pre-dentals in the same boat!

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University