Losing my Dad

(This is a copy and pasted FB post that I posted a couple months ago. I lost my dad on January 24th.)



“I love you too, sweetie”
These were the last words my dad said to me, as I kissed him on the cheek and told him I’d be back tomorrow. He always told me how much he loved me. Every single day of my life I talked to him, he told me how proud he was of me, how I was the greatest daughter ever, and how much he loved me. In return, I told him how he was the greatest Dad I could have ever asked for, and how much I loved him. He would always sigh at this, as if it wasn’t true, but it was. He was the greatest dad for me and my brother that we could have ever, ever asked for.

I could write a book on the lessons my dad taught me throughout my life. But I think the most important is one he taught me just a few weeks ago. After an especially tiring week in December, when it seemed as though the cancer and the surgeries were just too much to bear, I had a long, sobering phone conversation with my dad.
“Life takes 10 seconds.” The weakness that had been in my dad’s voice in the weeks previous was suddenly absent. “You’ll see me in 10 seconds.”
Reader, whoever you are, do you know where you’ll be in 10 seconds? My dad was a witness for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He was the most Godly man I have ever known. He would want each and every single person reading this to be with him in glory in 10 seconds. If you don’t know, if you’re unsure, if you’re questioning - I understand. I’m here for you. Contact me and we’ll have a conversation. When our pastor was at our house on Saturday he asked my dad, “Do you know Jesus?” Dad said, “Yes. Not even a little, but a whole lot.” And now it is my duty with my dad’s passing to carry on his life work of spreading the word of Jesus.
My dad did not feel like he was being cheated, or that his life was incomplete. He felt pleased to have had so much, to have come so far from his upbringing, and to be surrounded by so much love from his family. He passed quiety and peacefully. He was happy.
And my family is happy. This is not a tragedy. I really appreciate the kind words that I will get from this, and the prayers, trust me I do. But my family does not need feelings of pity, or of sadness. We need feelings of love, and of happiness, and of celebration. My dad lived a life that is worth celebrating. Yes, we are sad he is gone, but we are so, so happy for the years we were blessed to be able to spend with him. So be joyous. Don’t be afraid to share a favorite memory or something of the like. There’s no need for sadness, here.
I’m going to end this with a verse from my Daily Bible app from a couple of days before my dad’s passing. “For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” I can’t wait for the morning, when my family and I will only feel joy, instead of these present feelings of sorrow, when thinking about my dad. Thankfully, I don’t think it will take longer than 10 seconds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University