Countdown

Remember me?

I feel like I always start my blog posts out by apologizing for how long its been since I've last written, so in keeping with this tradition, I'm sorry it took so long to get this out here. Moving on.


My life is crazy.

Absolutely crazy.

But, I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

So what has happened since I've last checked in? Well, probably the biggest thing has been that I got engaged! When my boyfri, er, fiance... and I visited Canada last July, he popped the question! We've set a date, which is June 13th, 2015. Now I know what you're thinking, "Wow that's super fast!" And to respond to you a.) we've been dating for five years this November, b.) I've been wanting to marry him for around 4 years (what can I say? I know what I want!), and c.) we really wanted to get married before I started dental school. So as if planning a wedding doesn't add enough stress (fun stress, but still stress) to this semester, there's everything else that comes along with being a Senior Pre-Dental student in college!


I love this kid.
So in-between picking out linens and color swatches, I managed to apply to dental school this cycle. Then school started- which was fine at first. I would do wedding things in-between classes, and then do schoolwork every night. And then interviews started coming, and everything seemed to hit the fan. Don't get me wrong - I'm super, extremely grateful for dental school interviews! Majorly grateful! But I severely underestimated the amount of time, money and effort they would demand of me. Having to book hotel rooms, having to pay for hotel rooms, having to make up all of the classes I would miss on the day of my interviews, always being behind in every class and constantly playing catch-up; it all started to take a toll on me. I only have one more interview left, however, and then the interview cycle will be done and I will have made it out alive. But boy did I have some fun interview experiences!

As it stands now, my life is one big countdown. 35 days until December 1st. 229 days until my wedding. Everyday someone asks me when I start hearing from dental schools, and everyday I have to tell them that I am still very far away from receiving any sort of concrete correspondence. Most people are looking forward to Christmas, however, I'm just looking forward to December 1st! From talking to other pre-dentals, it seems as though this is a common consensus amongst us. So just know that I share your pain, and that I'm here experiencing all the feels that you are currently having.

Another thing I get a lot is why I'm interviewing at out of state dental schools when I'm getting married next year. And to this I have the same response every time: I love my fiance, but I'm not willing to put my career aspirations on hold for my personal life. And he understands this and feels the exact same way. Is it unfavorable to be living in two different states as newlyweds? Of course it is. Am I more than willing to deal with it for a while? Yes! Plus as a computer engineer, my fiance probably won't have much difficulty working remotely if need be. We both understand that making a sacrifice now is necessary for us both to achieve what we want, and I have to commend my fiance for being so understanding of this. 


I know that God has a plan, and I just have to put my trust in Him to lead me to where I'm destined to be. But man, is waiting difficult... What are you all doing to make the time pass faster?

Until next time,

PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University