Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Yesterday I went and saw "The Wizard of Oz" musical with my mom, my grandma, and my boyfriend. My grandma has seasons passes at this adorable little theater that never fails to deliver. I've been going to this theater for 10 years now, which is something that's crazy to think about. The first play I saw was Evita and I was 11 years old so you can imagine how much went right over my head.
Anyway, back to "The Wizard of Oz." Having first watched the movie when I was a kid, I missed a lot of aspects to the story. For starters, I didn't even know the scarecrow, tin man and lion were supposed to represent the three men helping Dorothy around the farm at the beginning of the movie. But more importantly, I missed out on a lot of themes and lessons taught throughout Dorothy's struggle to return back to Kansas.
When Dorothy was belting out "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," I felt myself getting pretty emotional. I could understand her yearning for more, for something exciting. Like everything else these days, it made me reflect on my journey to dental school. Will my dreams that I dare to dream really come true? (This is coming from the girl that also cries when Pocahontas sings "Just Around the River Bend," so take it with a grain of salt.)
One of the best quotes of the whole musical was when the wizard was giving the tin man his heart clock and said, “A heart is not measured by how much you love but how much you are loved by others.” What a wonderful quote. Throughout our lives we come in contact with so many people, and make so many relationships. With these relationships, we can help others by loving with all our hearts, but what makes up a good heart is the love we receive in return for our actions.
In the end, Dorothy comes to find out that the grass isn't always greener, and that she can't bear to be apart from her loved ones any longer. After her hard journey, Dorothy learns that she's had the power all along to return back to her home. (Should I have said spoiler alert?) This made me think about how badly I want to move on with the next chapter of my life, but how I need to appreciate what I have now. Once all of this is gone, I know I'll miss it. My wonderful, crazy, mysterious future is enticing and distracting enough at times to make me ignore all of the beautiful things I have right now. Sometimes, what's most important is living in the present and enjoying the simple things, because like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University