"Eliminate all Other Factors, and the One Which Remains Must be the Truth."

If you know me, which I have no idea if you do or not (blog views from Russia? The Netherlands? France? The more countries the merrier as far as I'm concerned), but if you do know me, you know how obsessed I am with murder mysteries. It's no secret that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books have kept me preoccupied for hours upon hours from a very early age (that's the Sherlock Holmes stories for all of you non-mystery aficionados), but that's not where my fondness for mystery stops. My latest TV obsession, Castle, has prompted a personal reflection. Why do I find myself completely engrossed in these stories? Why is it that I just can't get enough?
Stud Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Just look at that 'stache.
 The odd thing concerning this fact about myself is that I absolutely can't stand watching or reading anything that makes me sad. I will not watch the local news. I refuse to watch the movie, "Up." If I wanted to drown in my own pathetic tears I would pick up a Danielle Steel novel. I protect myself by hiding in a world I've created that's part happiness, part ignorance. And yet I'll watch a 6 hour marathon of "Dexter" no problem.
Sure, it may look harmless. But don't let it's bright colors and talking animals fool you.
Murder mystery writers have the tricky task of creating intricate, complex plots full of intrigue and twists, all the while making a likeable (probably just as complicated) main character who develops their own story while solving the one at hand. The depth behind these stories are incredible - I mean, who can keep track of every subplot and side relationship happening at the same time that makes these stories possible? Take "Sherlock" for example. At first, I didn't think it would be possible for me to like the BBC's take on the beloved stories from my childhood, but after watching them and seeing the delicate balance between the mini-mysteries and Sherlock's plight against Moriarty, I grew to love the adaptation. (I refuse to watch "Elementary" however. No female Watson is a Watson of mine.)
I'm waiting for you Season 3. Don't disappoint me.
But it's not just the intricate writing that make murder mysteries so attractive to me. There's also the relationships between the main characters that develop throughout the stories. They're messy. Dangerous. Almost always incredibly complicated. From the loss of every life comes the growth of theirs. Their relationships survive despite all odds and they always seem to find themselves back to each other, no matter what. I'm not just talking about romantic relationships, but also platonic ones. Every murder makes them realize how fragile life is and how important it is to treasure those around you. The dirtiest pitfalls of mankind bring about compassion towards each other - showing how beautiful things can come from the worst of evils.


I'm only slightly obsessed with their relationship. Slightly.
 Yes, I realize that these stories are just that; stories. They're works of fiction. But from every work of fiction comes a little bit of truth. These shows and books and movies have something to teach all of us. I would never want to experience any sort of murder in any aspect whatsoever, but that's the beautiful thing about fiction. It allows us to vicariously live through our favorite heroes battling evil and experience all of the benefits without having to face any of the realities.
Columbo will always be one of my favorite fictional heroes. There's just something so charming about his ever wrinkled trench coat combined with his extremely friendly demeanor.
I think the main reason why I'm so drawn to murder mysteries is that they make me think, which is a rare characteristic for most popular entertainment. As the audience, you can't remain passive, and if you do you completely miss the point of the mystery. They keep you strung along, making guesses, taking notes, drawing connections. Murder mysteries bring life into the story by incorporating the very audience their speaking to.
But don't take my word for it. Experience one for yourself and "escape from the common place of existence."

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University