Andy Warhol and a 3 ft Tall Irish Wolfhound Walk Into a Bar...

It's rare that you would find me putting off homework, but that is exactly what I'm doing at this moment in time. (Believe me, physics can wait.) Besides the fact that I've had this awful cough for the past week, I've been having a blast! We're starting to feel like real dental students now (I have delusions of grandeur, alright?)

On Monday we visited the Cleveland Clinic which is one of the top clinics in the country. They talked to us about the Cleveland Clinic college track at CWRU's medical school, which is this unique education track that involves having an extra year of med-school dedicated to research. The clinic was basically the size of an airport, and it was pretty neat to check out. 

Tuesday night we got to visit with some medical students as we celebrated the birthdays of all the SMDEP students who were born in the summer. The funniest part of the whole thing was that there were two cakes for everyone to eat: a huge carrot cake, and a chocolate cake that was about 1/4 of the size. You can imagine the disappointment that followed for some unlucky students near the back of the chocolate line.

My first time shadowing in the dental clinic was Thursday morning. I got paired up with a senior dental student at Case, and I observed him take impressions on his patient. It was neat to see how the bite model was made in the lab, since I had never seen that part done before. (Usually the dentist sends it off to the lab, but apparently in dental school they make you learn how to do it yourself.) Taking the impression was slightly difficult, however, because the patient had a pretty intense gag reflex. (Like I tweeted earlier this week, it's just not dental clinicals without seeing a patient throw-up!) It didn't bother me, though, and I was more concerned about the safety of the patient. Thankfully she recovered quickly and we went on with our business as usual. The amount of time I've spent shadowing dentists has sure given me a wide variety of experiences! 

Three representatives from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation came to our campus on Thursday to ask us about the program as a whole. The RWJ Foundation is what funds the SMDEP. What made me geek out, however, was that one of the representative was the president of the ADEA. Of course, I had to introduce myself after the Q&A because when else am I going to be able to do that? 

The best part of my week was our pre-dental dinner at the Landerhaven banquet center. We were required to wear dresses and suits and ties, and as we all know, any excuse to wear my nude pumps makes me excited, so I was already in a good mood. When we arrived at the banquet center, we took pictures in the garden in the back yard. 


My mother's obsession with horses prompted this picture.

An ode to the type of dinner we were served is that I had difficulty trying to decide which fork to use. It was extremely delicious and mid-gourmet mac n' cheese heaven, I was interrupted by the dean of the dental school asking if he could sit at our table. (Not that he even had to ask, but the gesture was nice.) It was an awesome opportunity to ask him any questions we had about dental school, and he even told us about the annual trip he takes to Israel with a team of Case Western students to assist in a paleontological dig. The more I'm finding out about all of the staff and faculty here, the more I'm amazed by their side-projects. I could see myself uncovering ancient animal bones in Israel, can't you?

After the dinner, a couple of my friends and I decided to explore the banquet center. As we were walking down the hallway, we saw an enormous dog.
"It's a horse!" One of my friends exclaimed, pointing at the massive animal. Granted, he was the size of a large pony, so I can see where the mistake was made. The receptionist behind the front desk noticed us gawking at the dog and offered us his business card. Yes. The dog had a business card. (His name is Connor and he's a Libra, thank you very much.)

After meeting Connor, we walked through Landerhaven, taking in the extravagant surroundings. It just so happened that an Indian wedding reception was being held there the next day, so obviously we had to take pictures of it. (And of a few other sights.)

This may or may not be my wedding reception. Hint: it's not.

I have no idea what I'm doing.
 
Apparently I enjoy lounging by fountains during my time here in Cleveland.
Bright and early Saturday morning, we got our CPR certification. Saving someone's life is a lot harder than I was imagining, and my arms were sore by the time the day was done. Everyone felt kind of silly strapping fake AED pads to mannequins and shouting, "clear!," but overall it was a valuable learning experience. Sadly, the use of "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gee's to keep the correct rhythm was not mentioned.

"Stay with me!"

That guy thought he was SO funny...
I had been dying to get to the Cleveland Museum of Art since I've got here, and today we got to pay it a visit. My favorite part was seeing Andy Warhol's Marilyn X 100 painting. The whole museum was full of amazing works of art and sculptures and the atrium was filled with lemon trees and chandeliers, which sounds slightly odd, but was a beautiful sight.

Us in the atrium.
All in all, it was a pretty eventful week. Thursday we get to go on a 4th of July picnic and they're not even making us go to class! (You laugh, but it had a high possibility of happening!) I also get to go to the program director's house tomorrow with six other students to eat dinner. We won the essay contest that happened the first week here, so I'm looking forward to what Monday evening has in store!

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University