Starting Over

Cheers to a four-day weekend!

Well, I've officially made it through week two of my graduate program and I'm feeling really positively about the whole situation. What it all boils down to is how much I love speech. I. Freaking. Love. Speech. I could talk to you all day about all the brain pathways and motor pathways it takes to function correctly in order for you to talk. Or about how the majority of your personal and cultural identity is resting in your ability to speak. Or about how losing this ability and having to rehabilitate is devastating, but regaining it through therapy is beautiful and life-changing. Big sigh. Speech is beautiful.

This kind of passion was what I was missing in dental school. I always thought teeth were fine, but, that was about it. My feelings about them can be summed up by something one of the dentists I shadowed said to me one day, "there's only so many teeth and so many things that can be done to them."

Anyway, we began our SLP graduate school in the middle of devastatingly cold, January temperatures. One of my classmates, poor thing, is from California and has never been to the mid-west before. When I asked her how she was feeling about the weather she said, "I feel like I'm on a whole other planet." Agreed, girl.

Not in the arctic. Just the mid-west.

I have seven classes, which I guess could be considered a lot, but comparing it to my dental school schedule it feels super manageable. Plus, I start in clinic this summer (as in four-ish months away!) and I want to have as much information as possible under my belt before then, so bring it on!

We have a wonderful cohort of 18 people. As I was explaining to one of my friends, I feel like I'm dating everyone. Trying to figure out who I think I would mesh well with, who might get my sense of humor, it's fun and exciting, but also nerve-wrecking. What makes things a lot easier is the fact that this field is filled with extraordinary people who have so much love and compassion, so you can't really go wrong.

For now I'm going to fill my time with sticking my head in the books and throwing in a few hours of Super Mario Odyssey here and there. It's about balance, people.

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University