The Most Sacred Gift

I almost said Happy Hump-day and then I realized it was Tuesday.

So there's that.

Happy Tuesday!

One of my very good friends called me up today to tell me that her and her fiance have chosen a date for their wedding. This new addition of my friend's wedding will bring the total number of weddings that I am invited to/a part of in the year 2018 to five. That seems like a lot, right? (Too bad I don't drink anymore!)




I personally love weddings. I love the food and the dancing and the dressing up and the creation of beautiful memories that will last a lifetime. To be a part of that (even as a guest) is magical. But no one really talks about what comes after the wedding.

My dad always said that the most important decision you make in life is who you decide to marry. He would continue on and say that the person you marry can either make your life a dream, or make your life a nightmare. He would say that your spouse should bring out the best in you, support you unconditionally, and bring you closer to God.

After I had gotten engaged to Jeff, my parents informed me that ever since I was born they would pray every night that God would give me (and my brother) a perfect spouse. They didn't exactly know what "perfect" meant for us, so they left some creative liberties to the Man Upstairs. To them, Jeff (and my brother's current fiance) answered their prayers.

I know Jeff and I have only been married for a little over two years, and in the grand scheme of things this isn't a long time. (And certainly not a long enough time to be making a blog post about marriage.) I get that. But, with all of these wonderful people in my life getting married, it just makes me want to reflect on my own marriage, even without having all the proper qualifications.


Marriage can't be all serious.

This past week Jeff did something for me that was so unbelievably selfless it made me want to break down in tears. (It was something that is nowhere near internet appropriate, so I'll leave it up to your imagination. Wait... that makes it sound even worse.) As he was doing this thing for me, I fell so much more in love with him, which was something I didn't even know was possible, and it made me so appreciative for this glorious human being God's given me.

I thank God every night for Jeff, and for our marriage. Jeff is always there to pick up my pieces, and God is the glue that keeps it all together. I've mentioned God a lot. This is because you can't have a marriage without Him. A marriage isn't a relationship between two people- it's an infinite bond between you, your loved one, and God. Marriage is so sacred because it transcends the here and now. A marriage is forever.

Which brings me back to my dad's original point - the biggest decision you make in life is who you marry. After only been married for two years, I can certainly attest to this. Jeff makes my life so much better (and I try my best to make his better too.) It's not even just about having a happy face to come home to, or a hug to fall asleep in. I mean this stuff is all well and great, but it's more about having someone that truly enriches your life. Someone that challenges you and makes you think. Someone who believes in you with everything they have. Someone who compliments and expands upon the essence of your soul.

I mean, this is some deep stuff. Certainly too deep to be randomly thinking about on a whim in-between classes. I guess all I want to say is that my marriage has made me grow so much as a person in so many different aspects of my life. And it's only been two years! Imagine where we'll be at in another two.

Until next time,
PJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Score a 24: A (Realistic) Guide to Taking the DAT for the Busy Pre-Dental Student

Dentist = Doctor + Engineer + Artist

Interview #1 - Virginia Commonwealth University